Wild Words . . . Photos & Fine Art

Co-creating by heart with sandy cathcart through writers helps and art info, focusing on all things wild.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

It takes courage to be a writer, artist or musician

It’s not exactly the same kind of courage it takes to venture alone into the wilderness for ten days at a time—there’s not really anything threatening my life such as wild cougars and bears; I don’t have to worry about falling over a cliff and no one ever finding me; I’m safely tucked away from storms—but in another sense there’s a whole lot more at stake.

Fear of rejection threatens my writing and artistic life. What if I do my very best and no one likes it? Or worse yet . . . what if no one cares enough to even look at it? What if I get lost in the slush pile? It’s easy to fall into a pit of depression and stay there. And it takes a lot of strength and resolution to claw my way back up once I hit bottom. Talk about storms. Horrendous black skies full of lightning come out of nowhere and tend to circle back and hit me again when I’ve barely come up for breath—the storms of looming deadlines, a blank page and blank mind, bills needing to be paid, and the hurry up and wait that drives me crazy. Discouragement strikes me down hard.

So where do we get courage?

That’s my theme for this coming week. I plan to weather the storms enough to give us all a bit of courage for each day, Monday through Friday. Be sure to check back for your own special dose.

8 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Sandy Cathcart said...

Welcome Katy!

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger lynniegirl said...

It's been a long day at the computer, and when it takes 5 minutes of agonizing over to-comma-or-not-to-comma, that is the question -- it's time to quit and go quilt!

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy! Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope you enjoy having a blog. I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say and seeing your photos. Take care!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Sandy Cathcart said...

Welcome Pattie and Lynne!!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to it!

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a neat thing to do I will
check it to see what you post on that site have fun with it
can you put songs on that you and I write? Deb Rempel

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy! Glad you've decided to blog about writing, since I love to read blogs about writing!

And wild stuff, too. I'm really envious of your wolf encounter. Just got home from a Sunday jaunt in your neck of the woods. Only wild thing we saw today were a grouse and a handful of ticks. Eew! Hiero is getting a bath as I write.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Sandy Cathcart said...

Welcome Gina, Debbie and Lor!

Gina, your site rocks!

Debbie, I probably won't post songs here, just helpful stuff for other writers, but maybe in another blog sometime?

Lori, thanks for the warning about ticks! I will start covering up and checking. I hate those things, but not enough to keep me out of the woods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home