Wild Words . . . Photos & Fine Art

Co-creating by heart with sandy cathcart through writers helps and art info, focusing on all things wild.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Are you a Christian who writes?


What in the world does that mean?

First of all, we better define the word “Christian.” That means a lot of things to a lot of different people. In this blog, I’m meaning Christian the same way it was meant when it was first used nearly 2,000 years ago, as a term describing people who loved Christ and desired to live their lives the way He did. They were actually “People of the Way,” People who worshipped The Creator by coming through His Son, Jesus. That’s my desire, too.

When I step out into the wilderness or, goodness! even look out my window and see the deer feeding peacefully in my forest yard—the wild turkeys knowing just when to run through and pick up bits of food; the little chipmunk now awake from his winter nap; the first sign of Osprey recently returned from South America; tiny bits of plant life sticking through the snow; herds of wapiti (elk) keeping their perfect cycle—as I watch the seasons pass in perfect wonder, consistent, fulfilling, and dependable . . . I am absolutely certain that none of this happened by accident, and it’s easy to place my own life into the hands of this magnificent Creator.

Ahhh, but there is a sin problem, and it affects all of creation, not just humans, this I also see. So, I carry a pistol on my hip, because some animals and humans don’t adhere to the law (given to both man and animals) to not take the lifeblood of another human. I see signs of decay and rot, sickness, and death, all things brought on by the fall. But God even knew about that and had a plan all ready—redemption through His Son, even for those who had gone before.

I know some of you are worried about all my recent God talk, but I believe in a holistic view of the writer’s life. The spiritual is very important to what I put down on paper. I can no longer separate myself from the life that is living inside of me. So, sometimes, as now, we will have a discussion on God, especially when faith may make or break our forward progress in writing. It’s all part of the process.

So, are you a Christian who writes? And what on earth does that mean?

A good example is a friend of mine . . . I’m changing her name here and calling her Susie. She provides the main support for her family, which includes her husband and father. Susie is a Christian and she writes. I think if I asked if she was called to writing, she would look at me as if I had fallen off the turnip truck. And I’m suspecting she may be right to do so.

Susie writes, because she is good at it, and it’s turned out to be a good way to make the needed money to support her family. It’s a business and she treats it as such.

I write, because God called me to write. Does that mean I don’t have a writing business? Well, no, I do have a writing business, but I didn’t hear any special call from God to start that business. It was simply a natural outpouring of answering The Call.

Susie, on the other hand, answered The Call through the simple outpouring of creating a business.

Hmmmmm

It’s almost like saying the same thing, isn’t it?

And what about this calling? Does that mean I will never be anything but a writer?

Well . . . no. I’m an artist, a musician, a songwriter, a photographer . . . but I’ve never heard a direct call from God to do any of those things, like I did with my writing, yet I feel His pleasure when I do them.


So, what is the difference?

For me, it’s simply being true to what He has called me to do.

I write, because He has called me to write. And I will continue to write even if my business of writing fails. The call was that clear. Until He releases me from that call, I’m bound to it. I’m also called to be a wife to Cat, and I will do that right on into eternity.

A Christian who writes, on the other hand, but feels no particular call from God, may be able to quit at any given time. But . . . and this is important . . . if God has given you a gift and you neglect it, that can be a very big problem.

Perhaps we have misworded the question. Maybe the question isn’t whether or not God has called you to write, or if you are a Christian who writes. Perhaps, the real question is, “Are you using the gift God has given you?”

Yikes, we’re almost full circle. So, how do you know whether you have a gift or not? And if you have a gift of writing, why do you need to edit? Or go to school? Or learn from others?

Okay, more on that tomorrow.

Meanwhile, be sure to leave any comments you want to share with others. We’re in this journey together—a journey of learning how to co-create.

8 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice page

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

This is interesting. I never really saw my writing as anything other than this intrinsic need to tell stories. I wrote my first full-length romance novel when I was about fourteen. At age twenty-nine, once God hit me over the head a couple of times (it was very necessary), I realized that my writing ability was not simply an inherited talent, but a spiritual gift. That is when I changed my tack and began to write Inspirational Romance instead of secular. I still get to do what I love, which is write stories, but they have a deeper meaning now.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sandy Cathcart said...

Cathy,

Welcome! And thanks for sharing. I like the idea of your stories having a deeper meaning. Francine Rivers pretty much says the same thing.

Wow! Writing a full-length novel when you were 14? I'm very impressed! That is certainly a gift.

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Remember, I never said that first novel was any good mind you....!!!
I appreciate your email - wonder why the comments weren't working on my blog...sometimes I think blogger gets possessed by evil spirits!
Well, I am praying about what the next step should be with Just A Little Walk, so I am sure God will give me an answer one way or the other. It's nice to know He's in control, not me!!

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Sandy Cathcart said...

Cathy,

I just said a prayer for you too. These are difficult steps. Have you heard of First Books or Publish America? A few of my friends have published through them and really like it. You have to do all the marketing work, but nowdays you pretty much have to do that anyway. You can find them through google.

I'm jealous of your Africa trip. I would love to go there. In fact, it's on my WILD list of things yet to do. Tell us all about it when you return.
sandy

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger kc said...

Wonderful article, Sandy! I'm in total agreement with you on everything (which is quite a feat considering I'm devil's advocate often).

God has fantastic things in store for you, lovely lady. Keep giving it all to Him. That's the only way it will turn into anything of worth, anyway. Can I get an amen?

Karri

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job. Being a Christian who writes is truly different than being a Christian writer in my humble opinion. I feel a Christian writer tends to write more as a way to uplift God's people and bring people to Christ. A Christian who writes tends to write more for the secular world, but also tries to keep to his/her Christian values.

Alyice

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But is a Christian writer to be so limited? GOD addresses more than just His saved children. Shouldn't a Christian writer/artist/musician write for the audience God chooses for him or her? Can't one be a Christian writer and have a powerful message for the unsaved world?????
Lynniegirl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home