Wild Words . . . Photos & Fine Art

Co-creating by heart with sandy cathcart through writers helps and art info, focusing on all things wild.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Short but Impacting!

Goodness! I’m so busy living life that it’s hard to get back here to share with you about all the amazing things I’m learning. I’m off to the coast for a photo shoot and time with The Cat Man, but I’ll cap a few things to whet your appetite for next week when I return.

First of all, the Art Conference at Box R Ranch was amazing . . . far beyond my wildest dreams. Chris Hopkins is an excellent artist who holds nothing back when teaching others. I quickly became a groupie, spending every minute with him and watching and learning and growing . . . I feel absolutely satiated.

What big lesson did I learn?

To not be afraid . . . to go ahead and take chances and try something new . . . to have fun with my art . . . to know the rules . . . but to break them . . . because without breaking them, there is no innovation. If it doesn’t work out, so what? There’s always another time.



Chris’ brother, Steve Hopkins, shared an amazing message about being ready and prepared because there’s something new on the wind. More about that later.

I also learned some very practical how-to tips that I plan to share with you when I return.

Second, I just returned from Colorado where I taught classes and met with fellow authors in one of the most beautiful settings in the world. The Rockies are breathtaking! From sunshine to tremendous storms . . . we had it all! Even a scare one night when lightning struck very close and the fire doors all slammed shut. Whew! We were very nearly evacuated. What wonderful makings for a novel!

I stepped into Ted Dekker’s class and was totally surprised that he remembered me from his trip to Oregon! What a guy! I will share more about his message when I return as well. But the main thing he kept reiterating was to be true to your art and calling as a writer.

Lisa Samson said the same thing, and I can hardly wait to return to tell you what I learned from her about writing as an art form rather than a marketing tool. Such refreshing news!

There’s a lot happening in the writing and art world; it’s a great time for all of us as we develop and grow. So, have a great weekend and check back next Wednesday for some great stuff!

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Sounds like a great time for you.
I am hoping to go to the American Christian Fiction Writers conference in Dallas in the Fall.
That will be very inspirinng I am sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home